Tuesday, March 24, 2009

alea jacta est

It was definitely not a quiet day on campus, but it was one of the more decisive,purposeful days. At least this much I could tell as early as 9am, watching the COMELEC preparing the paraphernalia for the elections.

Before that, I spent about fifteen minutes wondering with a friend about elections and lesser evils, and later yet another half an hour debating/agonizing with another friend about the different pros, cons, upcoming plans, and track records throughout this election. Even if I eventually cast my vote rather early in the day, I ended up thinking this process over more than in the past--maybe because of the nature of this year's campaign.

Clearly, because of the many things that have been promised, said and done in the last few days, it really is not going to be easy for some of the student body to decide who to vote for. While asking my classmates and other friends about whether they had voted yet, I realized that some people are in no hurry to cast their votes simply because they have to think their choices over. Now that's what I want to see: more deliberate voting. It's better than voting haphazardly, or abstaining.

Throughout the day, I encountered the different candidates, making the rounds, watching the proceedings, and encouraging students to vote. It was good of the candidates to just encourage suffrage, never mind what advantages or disadvantages this may entail. I think that they could have done it a little better though if they'd been wearing white, or green, or some non-partisan colors.

So far, the student body seems to be more responsive than I expected this general election. Now if only this pace will continue...

1 comment:

  1. I always end up voting on the very last day. I think my vote's celebrated by both parties, not because of my reputation, but because they badly want votes - especially when you're from a higher batch, and the higher batches don't tend to vote on their last years. It's a struggle on their part.

    ReplyDelete