Monday, March 23, 2009

Anticipation

Last ditch efforts? Quiet anticipation? Question and answer?

I suppose it depended where one happened to be on this day. For my classmates and I, today was surprisingly free of election-related discussion, apart from copies of a comprehensive explanation of the Santugon SPOA arriving in our physics lab class, as well as the ensuing discussion about who to vote for.

Sure I saw the two parties rallying their candidates and campaigners as early as 7:45 a.m. Sure, I heard discussion about last week's miting de avance, as well as the different answers the candidates have been giving over the RTRs. Sure I saw people running about the hallways just to campaign. Sure I heard the video of Ron Semira's miting de avance speech being replayed at the Tapat tambayan. But on the whole, today felt much like a "lull".

This could be a sign of either a weary student body because of the campaign trail, or a weary student body because of the usual "third term" pile up. As it is, I hope we students take the time and effort to actually vote.

What I hope to see: the political parties uniting to promote student suffrage, for the sake of encouraging active participation in the student body...never mind who gets to serve in the SC this year. It is time we changed the focus to an aware and proactive student body for the next few days.

Personally, I'm keeping to myself my decisions about my choice of candidates. I have explained and mulled over certain points and merits with my friends from both sides and no sides of the campaign, and still I can say the same thing I have been saying all campaign:

Chopseuy vote na ito.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a better coverage of the first day of the elections.

1 comment:

  1. I think by Monday everyone is just tired. Whatever that may be about, it's just plain fatigue, and considering what will definitely happen after the vote...

    ReplyDelete